Skip to the content
Experience, Education, Research, Teaching
- Change in the relationship between ecology, economy, and equality in situations involving human use of resources.
- Interdisciplinary collaborations on issues of resource management, use of science in policy, and the role of human values in natural resource decisions.
- Emeritus Professor, Oregon State University (2003-Present).
- Professor of Anthropology, School of Language, Culture, and Society, Oregon State University, (1978-2003), Associate Professor (1972-78), Assistant Professor (1969-72).
- Associate Director, Water Resources Graduate Program for Water Policy and Management (2010-pres)
- Adjunct Professor, Water Resources Policy and Management, (2000-pres)
- Adjunct Professor, Environmental Science in College of Science, (1995-2008)
- Associate Director, Center for Analysis of Environmental Change, Oregon State University, (1994-1996).
- Adjunct Professor, Marine Resources Management Program, College of Oceanography, Oregon State University (1991-pres).
- Adjunct Professor, Department of Fisheries and Wildlife, Oregon State University (1982-pres).
- Chair, Department of Anthropology, Oregon State University (1981-84).
- Assistant Professor, Department of Business and Resource Management, Carnegie-Mellon University, Pittsburgh (1968-69).
- Research Assistant, Bureau of Ethnic Research, Department of Anthropology, University of Arizona (1967-68), Graduate Research Associate (1965-67).
- Lieutenant, U. S. Army, Transportation Corps, Duty Station, Fort Lewis, Washington (1962-64).
- Test Engineer, Pratt and Whitney Aircraft Division of United Technologies, East Hartford, Connecticut (1961-62).
- Ph.D., anthropology (major) and sociology (minor), University of Arizona, Tucson, 1968.
- Visiting Professor, National Sea Grant College Program, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Rockville, Maryland. September 1984-August 1985.
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Marine Policy and Ocean Management Program, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution. September 1975-August 1976.
- BME, mechanical engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, New York, 1961.
- Alternative Approaches to Sustainability
- Biocomplexity and Alternative Futures
- Designing Landscapes: Human-Environment Interactions
- Cultural Ecology
- Natural Resources and Community Values
- Wealth and Poverty
- Theory of Culture
- Research Design
- Family, Gender, and Generation
- Writing Intensive Courses