First steps for building a game

I made a game recently. My further research into the Unity engine has brought me to the predictable position of constructing my own game. This is an event that I doubt many would expect not to occur.

It’s a simple game. the player controls a red cube, and dodges a series of grey blocks. Different sequences of blocks give the game a unique set of levels, and included are limited interface components that provide a score display, and indicate success or failure. I’ve seen plenty of similarly simple toys across many gaming platforms, but I’ve grown quite fond of this one for the plain fact that I made it myself.

Granted, I didn’t make it all on my own. It was put together by following a series of guides and tutorials that were created to instruct and inspire others on the capabilities of the Unity engine. In this, these videos has been successful. I feel like I have a much better understanding of the capabilities of this engine, and am intrigued by the creative possibilities.

I have a much greater appreciation of the Unity tools. Before this I feel confident in my ability to generate fun and interesting games by writing in simpler languages, and by constructing physics engines or mesh generators from scratch. A part of me still has ambition to produce games in such a manner, but I still have newfound respect for the features that Unity can provide.

My task for now is to attempt to find relevant tutorials and guides that will help me produce a product more similar to our assigned project. If I could find a video series that covers creating a sim-city-esque game, or one that provides good content on pathing information would be boon to our production.