Week 2: Life and Class Updates

CURRENT JOB

Right now, I’m currently working as a Health Records Auditor remotely. In this position, I’m responsible for reviewing, auditing, and analyzing a patient base of 160+ individuals in order to get higher-reimbursement for an HMO group from medicare. I find it fun and interesting, snooping and analyzing healthcare information. This job has eventually led me to my new full-time job as a Medical Records Data Abstractor! I’ll be starting the position next week once I get all the nitty gritty paperwork completed. It will be more aligned with tech in healthcare which is something I’ve been looking for, but not a perfect match in regards to what I have studied at OSU and what I want to do with my education.

FUTURE CAREER

O crystal ball, let me see into the future… where the heck am I going to end up working as? There seems to be a lot that I can do, especially with my past degree in biology. I saw recently that I could become a researcher and utilize my computer science degree and mathematics background, but also…. software development is so interesting. Once again, I’m perpetually uncertain!

It says… “Try again later”

JOB HUNT OR INTERVIEW

Lately, the weather here in the DMV has been rainy and gloomy. So, I’ve been on the job hunt to pass the time indoors. I’m a compulsive list maker/document freak, so I have an excel spreadsheet on the jobs I’ve applied to and the status of my application. I’ve applied to about 15 jobs since November, so I’m really trying to get up to 50-60 jobs before the end of semester. This has me applying to about 3-4 jobs a day.

The interviewing process has been OK so far. There’s been a mix of general interviews with the interviewer wanting to know who I am and my past experiences. Some were more catered to my education and how it is applicable to the position I am applying to. Others have been coding interviews. In fact, I have to schedule for an aptitude test soon!

FAVORITE TECHNOLOGIES

Is it corny to say that my favorite technology right now is QR codes? My partner’s parents came to visit, and almost all restaurants have implemented QR codes to help with the ease of ordering and delivering food/drinks. It’s so convenient to just use your phone and utilize an easy-to-use app, and have it tied to your table where you are sitting at! I hope that this eases the burden on the food industry workers as much as it has helped us consumers. I know it has definitely fueled my coffee love.

Live feed of me in the afternoon with a coffee pick-me-up

MY PROJECT

We recently received our group and project assignments, and I’m so excited to have been selected to work on the Text Based Adventure Game. It has been a hot minute so I’ve lasted worked on a game, the last one being my project for Software Engineering I. It’s also a coincidence that one of my group members is also from that project I worked in, so it was nice to see a familiar face. We haven’t started on planning quite yet, but we have greeted each other and started a discord chat to contact one another.