Here are 10 reasons why you should consider studying abroad….
1. Study abroad is the optimal way to learn a language. The language on a daily basis will surround you.
2. Study abroad provides the opportunity to travel. It allows you to venture and see what the country has to offer.
3. Study abroad allows you get to know another culture first-hand. You can truly understand different cultures, and show appreciation.
4. Study abroad will help you develop skills and give you experiences a classroom setting will never provide.
5. Study abroad affords you the opportunity to make friends around the world. There is no such thing as too much friends!
6. Study abroad helps you to learn about yourself.
7. Study abroad expands your worldview.
8. Study abroad gives you the opportunity to break out of your academic routine.
9. Study abroad enhances employment opportunities. This is always a plus!
10.Study abroad can enhance the value of your degree.
Oregon State University offers lots of opportunities to study abroad. But the thing is where to begin? First of all you should start by looking at the study abroad portion on the website. It offers places you can choose to study in, what requirements you need and how to start planning and saving money. We all know that studying in a different country isn’t cheap, so by looking early for scholarships and grants is a must, but not to worry, your abroad counselor will go over all of that with you on a one-on-one meeting.
Some things to remember, you must keep up your GPA maintain at least a 3.0 and above. Be organized and meet all due dates, start planning a year a head. Make connections with people who are from your desired country choice. Do research of the place you plan on studying at. Learn the language a little bit! It’s going to take some time to get everything planned but with good help and attitude it will happen. Explore the world while you learn, that’s what makes life so exciting!
Check out the following website for more information to get started: http://oregonstate.edu/international/studyabroad
Posted by Hulali Kaapana, Career Services Assistant