Project Midpoint – More Industry Events

Well, it’s May 5th so you know what that means; It’s time to break out the margaritas get LOCO. But not me, alas, because I, like many of you, have a certain project that I need to be working on. But that’s fine because I can almost already smell the paper that my new diploma will be printed on. The project midpoint is here and what was originally a vague and seemingly insurmountable task has now taken its primordial form and I think we’re actually going to pull this project off. Fantastic. The app is starting to actually function and I think we might even have the main functionality completed by the end of this weekend. Funnily enough, we haven’t even named the app yet so we’ll have to get around to that. The trend these days seems to be to apply the ‘ly’ of ‘ify’ suffix to the end of some related word (see Grammarly, Shopify, etc…) I personally think the trend is a little lame but I’m sure some marketing team out there has made a killing. We’ll probably go with something like that.

In other news, I mentioned in an earlier post that I will be attending RailsConf as part of my new job but now looks like I will be attending another industry event as well. Looks like I’ll be going to DEFCON this year in August in fabulous Las Vegas Nevada. What was originally planned as a one day visit to the convention with my programmer friends before I was employed is now going to be another awesome event that I can have at least a somewhat valid reason for attending! My new company is a cyber security company and it looks like they might even be paying for some of it (winning). That said, I’ll still probably be one of the dumbest people in the room and I’ll have to make sure to completely turn off all of electronics on the show floor lest I risk getting my identification info hacked and plastered on the famous DEFCON wall of shame. Super excited.

Author: Lucas Moyle

I live in Bellingham WA and have been a mechanical designer/engineer since 2016. I got my first BS from Western Washington University in Applied Mathematics and graduated in 2012. I also have an AS degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology. I recently got my first offer in software engineering and accepted the position which starts April 4th.