First Month Down – Many More to Go

Another week and another set of new experiences for me. Friday will mark my first whole month as an official professional software developer. I still have no clue what’s going on, but I think I am making progress. I understand what they mean by imposter syndrome now. It blows my mind that I’ve been studying CS since 2019 and this degree seems really is just the the bare minimum to start drinking from the fire hose of new information and expectations that is professional tech world. That said, I’m lucky enough to have a small and supportive team, though, and they seem happy to have me which is great – since I feel like more of burden than anything else at the moment. I suppose they all went through the same thing, which is encouraging.

In other news, the capstone project goes well. I think we’ve made great progress towards the midpoint benchmark and I think we will end up having a simple albeit robust app that could potentially be expanded in the future. Through the project I’ve learned a lot about more about flutter, dart, and full stack development. I can’t wait to graduate and get my nights and weekends back so I might be able to start pursuing some personal projects. The end of the quarter and my time at OSU is only 5 weeks away! Keep it real out there.

Author: Lucas Moyle

I live in Bellingham WA and have been a mechanical designer/engineer since 2016. I got my first BS from Western Washington University in Applied Mathematics and graduated in 2012. I also have an AS degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology. I recently got my first offer in software engineering and accepted the position which starts April 4th.