Week 3 blog

This week I worked on my problem statement and requirements document. The problem statement was a more descriptive project description, while the requirements document was about creating user stories that complete a working project. Both gave me great insight into the scope of the project, and I now have a better understanding of the project as a whole. I also researched a technology we could use for our project’s communication layer. The technology I researched was MQTT which is a communication protocol for IoT devices. This should work well with our project, but our method is still open to better implementations at this stage. There will be a lot of designing when it comes to our project from UI to logic. As actual people will be using our mobile application, it is obvious our design will be very important. We have to make sure our app is usable and intuitive. This means closely talking with stakeholders and user groups to make sure the app’s functionality makes sense. Beyond that, we need to make sure all of our requirements are met and planned out as there are a lot of tasks to accomplish. Without a planned out roadmap, we could be behind. We need to make sure each story has a time estimate and there is enough time for roadblocks to be resolved. For example, there could be stories that take more time than we estimate, and blockers that could also take up time. We need to be wary of this to ensure each step to the development process has enough time to be well thought out and delivered with quality. It helps that a lot of the classes I have taken so far has given me insights on parts of our software. My usability class has notified me the importance of well thought out design and how it should be an ongoing process when implementing everything within our project. I have also taken an android development class that will help when building the app itself.