Blog Post #2 Winter 2023

The technologies I’m learning include Rapier. Rapier is a collection of crates written in the rust language. It is intended for game development, and can be used to add colliders or physics to objects. I’m trying to learn to use it to add colliders to each my of gltf assets (or each of the different natural objects in my scene, such as a tree). This way, I can randomly spawn them on my ground without them overlapping. Currently, they randomly spawn without care whether or not another entity is overlapping.

Here is an example of my current Scene. You can see that the trees, shrubbery, and whatnot sometimes overlap in a way that looks jarring or unnatural. You can also see my current progress with implementing the colliders with Rapier (the small orange spheres). The colliders are technically there, but they don’t actually do anything yet.

I’ve also been coding this whole project in the rust language for the Bevy engine. Before this project, I’d never used either of these technologies. I had a hard time initially grasping the language, as well as the application of it for the engine, but now I’m staring to appreciate both of them – especially the rust language. I find it similar to C++ and Python combined. I’m still learning the ins and outs of Bevy and Rust, but I’m glad to have this experience.