Writing Exercise #1

Prompt: List as many human non-infectious diseases you can think of that are influenced by microorganisms.

When thinking about previous biology courses I have taken we have talked about microorganisms but I rarely consider non-infectious vs infectious diseases so it was difficult to come up with different examples. Some I thought of are Asthma, Alzheimer’s, Diabetes, Cancer (some), and Inflammatory bowel disease. When thinking of microbiology I think of different bacteria right away. There are both negatives and positive outcomes to the human body depending on the type and spread of the bacteria. Non-infectious diseases are not contagious, which means it is not directly influenced by a bacteria, pathogen, or virus. These diseases still can be influenced by microorganisms and may have differing results based on the affect. For example a pathogen may effect an organ, cell, or system and cause it to attack itself and therefore leading to another disease.

I don’t have a lot of knowledge on the connection of microorganisms and different diseases, but I’m excited to learn more throughout the term and the varying effect on human health in general.