Writing Exercise #15

Imagine yourself as the head of a funding agency (like the National Institute of Health) in which your job is to look at proposals for research projects and decide what projects to award funding to. Based on your readings this term, discuss a research project (or projects) that you would be most excited about funding as they relate to learning more about microbial influences on human health. As part of your response, consider what are we likely to learn from the project and how that might be important in future healthcare decisions.

I would propose something that would effect a large group of individuals and may be seen as a common need of most individuals. When thinking of this alone, I think of the effects of probiotics and antibiotics on human health and the microbes. I think everyone at least once in there life will need or take some type of medication in which they should have access to along with all the information including when and how you should be taking these probiotics. We have learned how they effect our health and can combat other negative effects of microbes which can be very important. This should be accessible to everyone and we should learn the effects on different groups of people, because as we have seen in previous articles, the samples are very small and are usually based on one demographic.