Writing Exercise #2

If a colleague asked for my opinion as to which HPV strain should be covered in a new treatment, I would recommend HPV31 and HPV45. The article states that HPVs 16, 18, 31, and 45 account for up to ~80% of cervical cancer. HPV16 and HPV18 strains have vaccines available and are expected to limit the spread of HPV infections and the incidence of HPV related cancers over time. Thus, HPV31 and HPV45 would make ideal candidates for the next treatment as they can help decrease the prevalence of cervical cancer. I also would have the treatment be administered when the patient is young/is a child. According to the CDC, HPV can be transmitted by having vaginal, anal, or oral sex with someone who has the virus. It is most commonly spread during vaginal or anal sex. Therefore, administering the treatment before the individual is sexually active would be beneficial. I would then recommend HPV types 33, 35, 39, 51 52, 56 58, or 59 be covered in the new treatment as they are also associated with cervical cancer.