Ingredients for coconut rice
- 1 Cup Basmati Rice
- 3/4 cup Coconut Milk
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt (cut to 1/4 tsp if using a sauce with added salty flavor)
Instructions for Coconut Rice This recipe adapted/tested from a NYT recipe – added sugar is removed https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1019200-coconut-rice
- Rinse 1 cup basmati rice and drain.
- Combine rice, coconut milk, water, and salt in a pan on the stove that has a lid.
- Uncovered, heat the mixture till it simmers (bubbles appear, low boil)
- Cover the pot with the lid and reduce heat to lowest setting. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove the lid, fluff the rice slightly, cover and let sit for 15 minutes.
Instructions for Stir-fried veggies you can cook up almost any veggies pretty quickly to accompany your coconut rice. These basic instructions can be used for peppers, zucchini, onions, chickpeas, squash, broccoli, kale, and many more veggies.
- yellow onion sliced thinly
- 2 mushrooms washed and sliced into bite sized pieces
- peppers, washed and cut into bite sized pieces (save a few small rings for garnish)
- cooking oil any type
- lemon wedges for squeezing for juice
- heat a pan on the stove, add a spoon of oil.
- Cook onions first 2-5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and other veggies next. Cook another minute or two. Veggies should have a little crunch still.
- Serve with your coconut rice. Put pepper rings on top for garnish.