Week 2 – Extra Credit

I had never really used Google News before, just because I am not usually interested in reading the news (as bad as that sounds). It’s amazing how many different functions and applications Google has just on their website. I went on Google News and added all the same categories that were mentioned in the step-by-step instructions from the professor, but I was still confused why there was still other types of news on my feed, even though I had deleted them from my preferences. Again, I don’t really have Google News experience so maybe I am missing something. I messed around on the page for a little bit and then thought to click on justĀ one category I had entered. This brought up only pages referring to “gender & technology”. Then, I clicked on the RSS button at the bottom and, at first, I copied the super long HTML code that the window brought up. Then, when I found thatĀ this didn’t work, I realized I needed to copy the web address from the top bar instead. After I did this and edited the RSS module, I saved it and looked at my page and it was all there. I also did a little research on “RSS” since I had never really known what it was. I found that the information updates itself, which I found pretty cool. It’s almost like a mini Google news on my blog that I don’t have to update frequently. I like this RSS thing!