IPIP Results & Reactions

People vector created by pch.vector – www.freepik.com

I decided to take the original version of The Big 5 Personality test. A summary of my results are below:

Extraversion

I scored low in extraversion, indicating I like quiet and solitude. My friend group is restricted to a small amount of close acquaintances and I am more reserved. I enjoy recharging my energy alone and avoid large social groups. My general level of excitement and cheerfulness rates low, while my activity level is average.

Agreeableness

My level of agreeableness is average, indicating I have some concern with others’ needs, but unwilling to sacrifice myself for others. I scored the highest on morality (93) and cooperation (77) . Due to assuming most people are ill-intentioned and negatively perceiving their objectives, I scored low in trust.

Conscientiousness

I scored high in conscientiousness, indicating I am reliable and hard working, seeking to achieve the best for myself. Some of my highest scoring traits include cautiousness and dutifulness. Consequently, my self-discipline (getting things done timely) scored low.

Neuroticism

My neuroticism score was average. Traits skewing the score towards the higher tail of the spectrum were anxiety and self-consciousness. I tend to be more nervous and anxious in situations.

Openness to Experience

I scored low in this area, due to my simple, conservative nature. I value routine over excitement and spontaneity. I prefer a stable, traditional environment.

Reactions to Results

My initial reaction to the test results is that they are fairly accurate and describe my personality. As mentioned in our lecture, 50% of our personality is determined at birth (DNA) and the other 50% is determined by your upbringing. This reflects accurately in my results as I was an only child in a traditional, conservative upbringing. I was often labelled as shy but just enjoyed my own company and got along with very few other friends my age. Thus I gravitated towards more intellectually stimulating activities such as piano, dance, art, or reading, rather than athletics or group activities that would indicate extraversion.

A potential employer would find strengths in my conscientiousness, dedication to my morals, and hard work ethic. This trait has the most positive relationship to job performance. In addition, they would be pleased with my desire to improve upon myself. Working in HR, it is tightly bound by rules, which is essential in the trait “dutifulness.” I like routines and planning ahead, so this is a positive attribute for project management and compliance.

In terms of weaknesses, my low extraversion, friendliness, and cheerfulness may be perceived as being socially distant or stuck up. In fact, a manager once told me that others perceived me to be more approachable after I gave a presentation at work, because they thought I was very reserved. I also rate highly on anxiety and mis-trust, possibly due to experiences I’ve had with past friendships or coworkers. This could be perceived negatively but it’s good to know where I stand, so I know how I can improve my demeanor towards others.

Overall, I think personally tests are a good indicator of someone’s strengths and weaknesses, but employers should take caution in using them for hiring or promotion decisions.