Job Descriptions

Source: Business vector created by katemangostar – www.freepik.com

The job description I’m choosing to discuss is my Sr. Benefits Coordinator role.

The situation was unique in that my manager was fond of my work ethic, and told me if I worked hard enough, she would hire me to be her assistant. Therefore, there wasn’t an interview process, and the JD was more of a formality since the job had been “created” with me in mind. The position was new to the organization thus there were no incumbents or job analysis performed. My manager drafted the position with the roles and responsibilities she wanted her assistant to perform (in essence the roles she did not want to perform as a manager). Thus, it was very specific, and I knew the tasks that were expected of me. It had the structure of a traditional job description: general purpose, essential functions, education, training, skills, scope, supervisory responsibilities, and physical demands. The JD ended with the company’s mission statement.

Looking back, I remember how much I enjoyed helping and learning from my boss. The description matched quite well with the tasks of the job. It allowed me to grow into the position I’m in today. In retrospect I could have been more assertive in asking what career prospects the role would offer me in the future and what next steps were in the organization.

As job applicants, we are often seeking validation from the employer, especially if the role is our “dream job.” What we must realize is that both the applicant and employer have leverage, and the job description gives a fair amount of insight of what you can expect as an employee at that organization. Therefore, we must be more critical when looking at the specifics within the job description, in order to assess whether the role is a proper fit for us.

One thought on “Job Descriptions

1. Hi Alina,

It must have been an awesome experience to essentially have a job created with you in mind! If I were in your shoes, that would be a major confidence boost and motivation to work hard. I’m sure the fact that you already had some context with the company and job was helpful as well, as you weren’t coming in completely blind as a brand new employee. I like how you mentioned ways you could have improved on your end because as we learned, job descriptions should be descriptive, but not so long and cumbersome that it turns away potential employees. It is often on the applicant to ask some of these essential questions that help determine whether they are a good fit for the position. Great post!