Summer Initiatives at Haystack Rock

This summer I am going to be interning with the Haystack Rock Awareness Program (HRAP) located in Cannon Beach. While I was hoping to bear witness to the 250-foot monolith that is Haystack Rock in person, alas the pandemic continues to throw curve balls. My summer project will be done remotely. While I am grateful for my safety at home, this change is certainly an adjustment. However, you know what they say–a smooth sea never made a skillful sailor!

Summer Plans

So far, my plans for this summer include conducting a cost-benefit analysis from a few different perspectives. These will include the local government, visitors, business owners, and residents. I am also doing research on the history of the protections at Haystack Rock. The histories will come from both reviewing literature and from oral histories of long-time residents of the area. I will also use this information to create a model for how to implement protection measures, like those at Haystack Rock, in other coastal areas.

I believe the outcome of my project will be useful in spreading awareness on the effects of protected areas. By adding to a growing body of research as well as creating educational materials, I will be furthering HRAP’s mission to protect the delicate marine life at Haystack Rock and educate people about it. This area attracts a large amount of tourists, especially during the summer season. Anywhere from 100-200 people visit a day! It is important that they are knowledgeable while also enjoying the beautiful sites.

I am also looking forward to strengthening the connection between HRAP and the coastal community. I will accomplish this by working closely with partner orgs, communicating with members of the government, and surveying HRAP’s visitors. It will contribute to Oregon Sea Grant’s vision of a thriving coastal community and ecosystem by strengthening the relationship between the two. Today is my fourth official day on the job, and I am just getting started. I am excited to make a meaningful contribution this summer!

3 thoughts on “Summer Initiatives at Haystack Rock

1. Good luck with your project Rachel! It sounds like you’ll have your hands full. I will have to go checkout Haystack Rock sometime!

2. I have been to Haystack Rock a couple of times and it seems like HRAP does a great job at keeping people off the rocks and out of tide pools in order to protect the organisms living there! It will be interesting to see how this can be used in other areas that are important to wildlife in order to protect them.

3. So excited that you’re able to get started on these projects! I wonder if having a longer time to plan and prepare for your summer work makes it easier to hit the ground running once you officially started work?