Week 1: Job Application Experiences

The last job I applied for was when I decided to return to Starbucks from my previous job. The first time I applied, it was a “get to know you” interview then I was hired on the spot. Three years later when I returned, it was a lot more professional.

I applied online and turned in my resume to the location I wanted to work at. I met the manager, explained that I have Starbucks and general barista experience, and made a point to visit often as a customer. I got my interview two weeks later and was not sure what to expect. I had a friend working there already, and she told me that the interview was stressful for her and very professional. Considering how my last Starbucks interview went, I was skeptical but still took measures to prepare.

When I went in, I was interviewed by the assistant manager at the time. She brought out a packet of specific Starbucks Interview questions. She knew I had experience, so she brushed through the questions quickly. Preparing was good because she did ask specific workplace related questions, but it wasn’t overly scary or professional. A week later I got called saying I got the job and started working two weeks after that.

After the interview, I could tell that this store was more professional and higher functioning than my last. The ASM doing the interview was not pleasant so I was slightly nervous to work with her. I was excited at the same time because I was going to work in a place that actually functioned properly. I knew that if I was offered the job I’d take it regardless of how I felt about her because literally anything would be better than the job I was at. Once I started, she liked me because I already knew what I was doing and can manage myself. A few months later management switched as well as a large amount of employees, so it’s entirely different than it was a year ago when I started.

4 thoughts on “Week 1: Job Application Experiences

1. Hi, this is a comment.

2. Emily,

That’s really unfortunate that the interviewer made such a negative impression. They are lucky that you still wanted the job because I could see a lot of people seeing that as a sign that they may not want to work for a company if the management is unpleasant. You had the advantage of already knowing the company and also having a connection to that particular store through your friend so you were more prepared than someone else for the environment so that is good.

I am similar to you in that I much prefer an organized and professional interview process. I have had more casual interviews and they make me more uncomfortable than formal ones but I can see how your friend thought the more formal style was stressful. I think the College of Business does a good job of helping us prepare for interviews so we are ready for the types of questions that can typically leave some people nervous.

3. It is really interesting to hear about your experience with the Starbucks hiring process because I currently work for Dutch Bros, and have been on both sides of our interview process. At Dutch Bros, our hiring process involves first sending in an application, your resume, and a very short video about yourself. If you get called in for an interview, they are typically about five to seven minutes long and involve maybe one “job related” question, and the rest of the interview is really just a conversation. I think their process for hiring is very interesting compared to other similar companies, like Starbucks, because many I think would say it is rather unprofessional and probably ineffective, but it actually has worked very well for our company overall in these last three years I have worked for them.