Job Application Experience

Describe your experiences from the perspective of an applicant for the last job you for which you applied.

• I was talking to my friend about her job one day before she went to work and she had nothing but good things to say about the owners, her co-workers, customers, and the job itself. I asked her if they were hiring and she said they were, and that I should bring by a copy of my resume because they don’t have applications. I updated my resume to fit the job I was applying for and took a copy down to the shop later that day and gave it to her to pass on to the owner. My friend said most of the people who work there, got the job because they had a friend who worked there and referred them.

Explain how your experiences during the job application process shaped your impression of the job you were applying for and your desire to work there (or in some cases to not work there).

• After I dropped my resume by the shop, I received a phone call for an interview two days later. We set up an interview for later that week. The owner is the one who interviewed me and showed up 5 minutes late to the interview. I thought this was unprofessional and wasn’t a very good first impression. But the interview went very well, we talked for over an hour, it was very informal, and she only asked one or two actual interview questions. Our personalities meshed together well and I knew she was someone I would like to work for. She talked very highly of her employees and mentioned multiple times that they have a really good group of employees right not and she is looking for someone that will make a good fit. She said she would be in touch by the end of the week with her decision either way. She kept true to that and called and offered me the position a few days later.

2 replies on “Job Application Experience”

Hello Hannah,
I believe the opportunity is out there. Chances of change or growth are everywhere, so it is necessary to be alert to not let them pass. Communicating with others, questioning and being curious are ways of visualizing new perspectives and, thus, working to conquer them. Creating expectations for the future can limit the possibilities, for this reason, it is important to open the range and know how to evaluate what is different from what was planned. I liked how you did not put a lot of expectations and even when. you mentioned that they were late for the interview and that wasn’t professional from your writing I can say that you didn’t put any expectations into the job and at the end you were hired. I believe some people plan a lot for their future job and then if they don’t get it, it can become frustrating.

Hello Hannah,

You had me in the first half, not gonna lie. I thought the interview might not go well, when they showed up late. But its great that you were able to connect so well with the manager and get a job with someone who you could relate too and wanted to work for. Having a manager that you feel comfortable talking with, is important. I find it interesting that she decided to engage with you informally. For a smaller business, having employees refer co-workers is a recruitment tactic, since it will reflect poorly or well on the employee who referred them. An the interview process might be better for gauging whether you’re a good cultural fit, not necessarily qualified, since the work is easy enough to grasp.