Job Experience

Even during this day and age, a man needs a job. Not just any job, I need one that will exercise my skills and expertise. In my search for a job, I pay less attention to the job description and whether or not the position calls for someone who has the amount of expertise they require. Therefore, I applied to Cardno as a proposal coordinator. This was a position advertised on LinkedIn and the requirements were within my range of experience and skill set, so I was applied for the position.

I was sent a link to enter into an interview process, where I was required to answer behavioral questions on the webcam and was recorded for review. It was during this process that I realized that I was unprepared for what they expected. Some of the questions asked me to describe the color “yellow”. I don’t know what describing color has to do with business, but I gave it a shot. There were some other questions that I believe were satisfactory, but not excellent, as I was not chosen to go further in the interview process.

I found the company to be lacking in information and creating an user-friendly interface to investigate and see who and what the company does. It was challenging to be able to prepare for the interview, when I felt that I had little to draw upon, from the company’s history and mission statement, as well as values they uphold. Regardless, I am searching for jobs and will apply to any that fit the criteria that I feel comfortable applying for.

4 thoughts on “Job Experience”

1. Hi, this is a comment.

2. The application and interview process can be challenging at times. I have been involved with several of my company’s interviews as a panel interviewer. In my experience we will often ask questions such as the ones you described above to either loosen up the conversation or to try to get people to respond with something they haven’t rehearsed several times before. I enjoyed reading about the things you look for in a job because I find that is important and will ultimately help you know how satisfied you will be with the job. When preforming interviews we will ask questions to determine if the candidate knows much about the company. So, I like that you put time into researching the companies you apply for.

3. Very interseting post! I cannot agree with you more that many companies often fail to create a user-friendly interface that contains information associated with job positions, company structures, and other basic information of the firm. Without this information, it can be hard for a candidate to prepare for an interview. Also, interview is a major pain to me because I’m not a native speaker; the preparation of an interview can take me up to a week !

4. Hi Robert,

this seems like an interesting job application process. I have heard of the responsive interviews where you answer various different questions but I never had an experience with it myself. I am sure you learned from this a lot and will be able to adjust in the future.