Experiences with Discrimination

If I came across an article that stated a company I admired was faced with a public lawsuit for discrimination, I would definitely be turned away from this company. Not only would I not continue to support the company, but also would refrain from applying in the future. I think that companies that promote diversity and can overlook superficial differences to see the individual and all that they bring to the table are the companies that are the most successful. This type of discrimination in the work force is not only illegal, but also promotes a toxic and uncomfortable work culture that I would not want to partcipate in. Growing up in a bigger city, I have always interacted with people from different backgrounds, cultures, and religions and I think that it is important for everyone to experience working and collaborating with people that may have a different perspective than them. I chose to go to an out of state school for college with an intent of meeting new people, and the college environment of people from all over the world was the best way to interact with people I would have never met if it were not for school.   If everyone at a company thinks the same way, or has the same knowledge or background, not much would be accomplished. I have always valued the teamwork aspect of my different classes and jobs, and would hate to think that companies take away the collaborative and inspiring perspectives that different individuals can bring to that company. For these reasons and many more, I would not work for a company that was accused of discrimination, even if it was a company I had dreamed of working for.

3 thoughts on “Experiences with Discrimination

1. chandnic

Hi,

While I agree with you regarding organizations that lack diversity may be at a disadvantage when they only hire individuals with similar backgrounds, I also think that we cannot always rely on news to pass judgement. Sometimes people hear short soundbites or see social media posts and are quick to form opinions. Out of court settlements are common and that may limit the amount of information that is available to report or have access to. While I know discrimination in the workplace happens, I also believe there are at least two sides to every story.

Reply
  2. shellym

I completely agree with you statement about how if a company can overlook superficial differences and really see what someone can bring to the table are the most successful. These are the companies that genuinely care about their employees and want what’s best for them and the company. I am in the same position as I would not want to apply now or in the future to a company with current discrimination claims. It would be hard to trust a company that is breaking the law and making all these mistakes now because what’s to stop them from doing it again? I think it is really cool you decided to go to an out of state school to meet new people. Like you said your experience of gaining in friendships and knowledge should be similar to those in a work place. Stepping into the work place you shouldn’t feel like everyone is the same, and be able to create new connections, form new ideas and values.

Reply
  3. harlamat

Anne,

This sentence sums it up for me: “If everyone at a company thinks the same way, or has the same knowledge or background, not much would be accomplished.”

I completely agree, and I think people miss the boat when they are critical of diversity initiatives because they assume that more diversity equals less of a qualifications standard or a watering down of the pool. What diversity brings to the workplace is a broad base of ideas and perspectives, while still keeping the technical capabilities and experience needed. Diverse teams are simply set up better to respond to differing situations in the workplace.

Thanks for sharing!
    -Matt

Reply