Job Descriptions

For my current manager position with the men’s basketball team, the hiring process was overall pretty informal, so I was not given much of a professional description before I was hired. However, before getting hired, as I had mentioned in one of my previous blog posts, I was walked around and introduced to important people and coworkers in the office, and from these interactions it was clear what my responsibilities and expectations would be. I knew that I would be able to fit in with the environment, as I had worked previously in the sports field throughout high school. Mostly, this job requires someone who is willing to be flexible and adaptable with their schedule, as practice is every day from 11 am until 2 pm, and players are constantly wanting us to come in and work with them during off hours. For most of us, this is the time when we want to schedule our classes, so this definitely was an adjustment and requires a lot of time management on your own. We are always expected to look and behave professionally, as many NBA scouts and other professionals from conferences and teams come into practice often. Going into the job my first year, I thought that it would entail showing up to practices and games, and doing whatever jobs the coaches needed. Since I was the only female that this staff has hired, my job looked a bit different from the other males that they hired, and my position has grown to fit me and my abilities over the years that I have worked there. The ways in which my position now is different from how it was initially described is that I will mostly be working behind-the-scenes, or off the court, on office tasks the coaches have or NCAA regulation logging. While originally I had thought that I would be doing things on the court like the other managers and was a bit hesitant about it, I am glad that my boss had thought of an alternate plan for my position, and it has helped everyone out around the office a lot more. I think that the initial job description did not necessarily fit what I currently do in the position, but it has allowed me to grow within this environment and showed me that I do want to work in this field in the future.

2 thoughts on “Job Descriptions

1. harlamat

Annie,

It sounds like going into it, the job description was more competencies and policies than necessarily tasks. Although tasks are needed for the candidate to get a better understanding of their typical role, I can see how working as a student manager would require a more big picture approach to a position description. Of course, there are core and basic tasks that all managers must be able to carry out, but the overall amount of flexibility that a manager must have makes the specific job description challenging.

Thanks for sharing!
    -Matt

Reply
  2. vseteckj

Annie,

From this experience, did your assumptions change regarding the position you were hired for? You mentioned how you didn’t hear much about the professional description, but was able to meet and begin relationships with those you worked with. Is this something you preferred when starting a position or would you expect more structure in future jobs?

Thank you for sharing your experience!
    Jared

Reply