4 Habits That Helped Me Get Closer to My Tech Dream?

We all have our own goals. But what should we do to make our goal achievable? No success happens suddenly, we have to work hard and persistently. Step-by-step and day-by-day, we move towards to our goals gradually until we made it. I want to share 4 habits helping me along the way.

• Realistic Goals

Some of us want to change the world by our power. This goal is beautiful but too generic. In contrast, set up small specific goals and stick to them. These don’t have to be extraordinary or game-changing. Even small goals can help us to get closer to our dreams. For example, I set up a career goal of being a full-time software engineer at a FANNG company. I know I can do something meaningful one day but before that I need more industry experience. So big tech companies are really great learning platforms for junior engineers.

• Take Actions

We set up our goals and now act on them every day. Being a software engineer needs solid background knowledge. So I took essential computer science courses: computer network, software architecture, database and operating system. I got familiar with different data structures and algorithms. Along with courses, I practiced my technical skills building projects with different tech stacks. On top of the tech side, I also took opportunities to improve my other abilities. Being a TA of a big database class, almost 100 students, really boosted my ability of communication, collaboration, and handling multi-task. We can make preparations for our goals from many perspectives.

• Networking as much as you can

Take every chance you get to learn from others and build a network. Linkedin is a good place where you can connect with people who work in different companies. They have more insights of the company’s products and cultures. I encourage you to boost your network boldly. You will find more working opportunities than you thought. Moreover, find the communities – Front-end forum, back-end forum, gaming-developer, etc. People share some insider recruiting information. Sometimes, your resume can be recommended to hiring manager directly. A strong network is beneficial for you in the long run.

• Celebrate every milestone

When we accomplished goals, we should reward ourselves for all the hard work we have done. You have a short trip to see some beautiful views. You can buy a PS5 that you want for a long time. In a word, don’t forget the fun. Life is not only hard working but also the joy and the enchanting moments. These celebrations also keep you motivated.

Keeping these little habits in mind, I persuaded my dream and finally landed a new job last fall. I will start my new journey as a full-time developer at AWS. And I believe you will get closer to your dreams each day too!