Browning’s Blogs #4 – Trials and Tribulations

Well just to start, this has definitely not been the start I was expecting for the new year/term! For context, my main computer that I have been using decided that it wanted to cause issues just about two weeks ago now. Once the computer broke down I immediately worked to googling what the cause of the issue would be and among the choices, I assumed that it would be the power supply because I had recently gotten a more powerful graphics card and I figured that it may have died out due to pushing the limits; it was also old. Turns out, that wasn’t the issue.

I then assumed from the 3 viable options (Ram, Motherboard, Processor) that my problem could be the ram since it was also on the older side, and had read that it can affect a computer’s ability to POST, which was the issue I was having. I got that wrong again. I am now 95% sure that the issue lies within the motherboard, which is now going to take up to a week to 3 weeks just to get here. I am glad that I have a laptop to still be capable of working on schoolwork and do the usual tasks, but man, it is a SIGNIFICANT downgrade from what I was working with. It even makes doing schoolwork painful at times because the loading times are attrotious and I can’t have more than 2-3 tabs open at a time without a huge spike in load times. It is safe to say that I can’t wait to get my main computer back.

In regard to the code smell article I referenced below, it contained some useful information that could steer one away from replicating the issues that arise whe comitting a “code smell”. Furthermore, a few things that stood out to me that I would most certaintly like to avoid are code causalities such as: duplicate code, large class, too many parameters, god line, message chains, and so on… There are many good examples

In regard to the clean code article referenced below, it has some really good pointers to follow after to deliver the code in its best possible form; to be both easily readiably and effective. A few standout things such as creating meaningful names via avoiding disinformation and noise words, being consistent with the same form of functions being called, and ensuring that functions are small and serve their primary purpose.

References:

https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/clean-coding-for-beginners/