Browning’s Blogs #2

Hello everyone! It’s crazy to think that we’re already over halfway through the term; time seems to be flying by a lot faster than I’m used to. Nevertheless, the progress that my group and I have made on our project has made me confident that we can create a great product. All of my team members are relatively active but most importantly are extremely supportive when it comes to assisting one another on the issues that arise. Hence, I feel like we have made great advances on the foundation of our project in terms of what is going to be included in our artificial environmental simulation, as well as how exactly we will be developing those concepts.

While we currently have a satisfactory vision for our simulation project, the one concern/struggle that I have is the possibility of falling behind in the coding development that I am responsible for. Furthermore, I feel as if I am not as experienced/knowledgeable enough about the functionality of most programming languages, especially compared to my teammates. Though this will not stop me from putting my best foot forward and I will ensure that I do my best to learn the necessary things to best design the area of the project that I am responsible for. One great thing about having experienced and supportive teammates is the capability for them to lend aid by informing me on coding concepts that would best suit the needs of the project. Overall, I am confident that if I were to get stuck on how to do something within our project, my team will be there to help me.

As I am furthering my degree and am in my senior year of college, I am trying to figure out and slowly understand what I enjoy in the technical field, and what job I see myself enjoying. One recurring theme that I find myself winding up with is struggling to have the desire to want to code things. I feel like I have good general knowledge of how the process of coding works, but when it comes to implementing it, I seem to struggle. I think a lot of this has to do with the abundance of information that is currently out there; a lot of the programming languages give you the power to do roughly the same things as others, but execute them in a different manner. For example, coding for Python, Java, and C++ has a handful of similarities in regard to syntax and semantics but varies in terms of readability, writability, and so on. There is just so much information out there and many ways to do one single thing, that it starts to overwhelm me at a point.

Now, this doesn’t deter me from coding altogether, it just takes me a lot longer to retain and understand concepts of the different programming languages. With that being said, I have made it this far into completing my computer science degree, there’s no reason to quit now. Plus, this degree can serve as a great resume builder and allow me to explore different career opportunities while having considerable knowledge of the field. Two fields that have drawn my interest lately are the simulation of artificial environments and UX/UI design. What I enjoy the most about the project I was assigned to is that it relates to both of these fields in one form or another. Thus, throughout the course of this project’s development, I will get to learn more about these areas and ultimately decide if I would see myself enjoying either of these avenues and making a career out of it.

Thank you for coming to my ted talk, have a great day everyone.

Zack