Reanalyzing ideas and redefining concepts

LEAD 542 & other LEAD courses have definitely gotten me to constantly analyze and reanalyze how I do things and to identify areas of strength and areas that need strengthening. Prior to this class I would have thought that my networking skills were horrible, but that my friendship skills were excellent. A lot of this had to do with how I defined the two categories and how I saw networking as somebody that has to sell themselves and always goes after those whot can help them and ignores those who can’t (which I’ve experienced the receiving end of at networking events), whereas friendship was just reaching out, being yourself, connecting, and helping another person out whenever you could. As you have probably deduced, my definition for networking was very narrow and not at all what networking is (but it is a stereotype of what some are taught to do in order to network). However I realized in this class that networking is just making connections and building those connections by being yourself, reaching out, and helping others (does that sound like another definition I discussed earlier?)

So, I found out in the end that I am actually a pretty good networker, although there is still work to be done. In this class I realized there is a lot more pre-work to networking than I had ever thought, like doing some research before an event, dinner, or even BBQ. I have to think about what I can offer, possibly rekindle other connections to see if they might connect well with anybody I may meet at the event (if their career/interestss allign).

I also always heard about mentoring and was interested in it, but I never knew how to approach somebody and ask if they could be a mentor. Since it was an assignment in class, I was able to ask somebody I admire and is in another field – Foreign Service – to help mentor me. But, because of this class, asking somebody for help to help with an assignment, was very easy. I learned a LOT from my mentor and looked at my life and goals through a different lense and point of view, which I needed to take a better step forward. If I’m honest some of the advice was advice that I had gotten from my wife or others, but I had cast it asside because I saw it as criticism becuase I wasn’t ready or open to hear it. But when my mentor mentioned some of these points (albeit a little bit differently, probably with a bit more diplomacy) I thought they were fantastic ideas and lapped them up. (After realizing this I did have to laugh about it with my wife and give her credit, too).

Bottomline, this and other leadership courses helped me redefine old concepts and more importantly, help me take action on these newly defined ideas an put them into action, by getting a mentor, by connecting with 10 people that I identified in a networking activity, by leading a book group. It was not just an academic exersize in expanding my knowledge, but also, a followthrough with active steps that I took, which made the material stick and life changing.