Unity Learn

During the past week, I’ve been busy learning Unity. I knew that there were a lot of tutorials available. That’s the reason I picked Unity over other game engines. However, I underestimated how many tutorials there are. There are tutorials on YouTube, Udemy, LinkedIn Learning, etc. It’s almost overwhelming. How do I pick which ones to watch?

I decided to go with Unity Learn. There are various learning pathways on the Unity Learn website that walk through Unity step-by-step. These are offered by Unity so it seemed like a good first choice. Hopefully, the same people who created Unity can explain how to use it. If I finish the tutorials in Unity Learn and still can’t figure out how to do a certain task for my project, then I can try other learning options.

So far, Unity Learn has been easy and fun. The tutorials are project based so I can practice coding in Unity while going through the tutorials. When I want to learn more advanced topics or look up something I forgot, I like to quickly read the information and move on; however, when I’m first starting out with a new programming language or framework, I like it when tutorials explain the how and why in detail and walk me through practice projects. The tutorials often link to the Unity manual, which gives extra information not in the tutorial. The manual will be a good reference to keep in mind when I inevitably forgot how to do something later on.

The people who created the tutorials in Unity Learn must have had a lot of fun making them. There are terms like “mission checkpoint” and “experience points” to show how far along I am in the tutorials. I don’t see these types of phrases often in tutorials; however, this is the first time I’m going through tutorials for a game engine. Perhaps game lingo is common in tutorials for game engines. After all, it is a reasonable assumption to make that people going through these types of walkthroughs might like video games and game lingo. At any rate, I’ve been having a good time doing the missions in the tutorials and gaining experience points that represent my knowledge!

My team and I finished creating our project plan earlier this week. One of my teammates is in charge of figuring out how we are going to use GitHub to work on this project. One she gets that up and running, we can start using our knowledge from all the tutorials we have been watching and start coding our project!

Sources: