Week 1: Introduction

Biology to Computer Science

Hi! My name is William Ly. Like the most of you, this will be my final quarter of being part of OSU’s post-baccalaureate Computer Science program. However, I would like to take the time to rewind and tell you about how it all started.

My first bachelor’s was Biology at UC Riverside, where initially I was trying to pursue dentistry. Growing up in a family surrounded by healthcare professionals, right into college I was really influenced to become one of them, specifically dentistry. After graduating, I worked as a dental assistant as well as studied for the dental admissions tests. The Covid-19 pandemic hit and put a big halt in my career path. Despite that, it also gave me the opportunity to explore and pivot onto something that had always been an interest of mine which was coding and Computer Science.

I was first introduced to some sort of coding when I was using automated programs to help me check out limited and exclusive items such as the latest Nike shoes. What caught my eyes was when I found out these programs were being developed by kids as young as 16 years old. It made me realized how being able to code opens so many opportunities and you could start learning anytime because the resources are endlessly available online. Later on, I took a introductory Bioinformatics class that revealed to me how biology and coding crossed paths by utilizing databases, algorithms, computational/statistical techniques to help better understand biological data.

Fast forward to the present, I’m currently a full-time student and applying to new graduate jobs in hopes of getting a job entering the new year. I’m grateful for this program as it has helped me build a foundation and exposed me to different types of material that may help excel in my future career. I will mainly be looking to pursuing a career in full-stack or backend development as they seem to interest me the most, but I’m open to many opportunities that the tech industry has to offer.

Apart from school, I enjoy weightlifting/ bodybuilding as it actually helps with relieving stress as well as the confidence boost when seeing the progress of hard work and consistency. Additionally, I like going out with my friends to try new foods/restaurants such as searching for the best pizza in Southern California.

Looking forward to tackling this capstone project with some you and finishing off the year strong with the rest of you!