Week 4 Blog

In the vast world of business, it can get quite confusing trying to keep track of all the different kinds of duties that are assigned to certain positions at a company. Having a human resource manager that understands the complexity of this situation is crucial to a company’s success because they are the ones monitoring the behaviors of the employees. For a company that is just starting out, no matter what industry it belongs to, having a set description of each individual duty that all of the different positions must complete in order for business to flow smoothly .

An example of not having specific job duties from my personal life lies with the Oregon State Football Equipment Manager position that I held my sophomore year. When I had interviewed for the position and talked with the head equipment manager, the gig seemed fairly straight forward. They told me I would be setting up practices and games, helping the players with their equipment needs, and possibly traveling with the team. Going into that season I was expecting to challenge myself to do all of the little things that nobody really wanted to do, but little did I know that would pretty much be everything. From laundry, to cleaning up the locker room, to running personal errands for people more important than me, I did it all. While I was certainly confused as to the purpose of these duties early on, it finally clicked with me that the athletic department as a whole could not function without us equipment managers. Sure, the players and coaches would still get to go out and compete, but who would be there to keep the facilities running in proper order. Even though the job description doesn’t detail each task that needs to be completed, it felt like everything was done because it needed to be.