CS 467 – Biggest Breakthrough

For this blog post I am going to cover the largest success I experienced while working on a team to create a cross platform mobile app to increase visibility to Oregon States Wheat and Barley Data.

Overall I think the most impactful moment of this whole course was the first time the Front End and Back End of our application linked up and we had an actual working App. This course has been challenging but rewarding for me as I went into this project with a very limited amount of mobile development experience in a completely different framework (Android) then what we are creating the App in (Flutter).

However the first time we connected the Front End and Back End I felt an immense sense of accomplishment as in just a few short weeks we went from an idea on paper to an actual functioning app!

Over this course I have learned a lot about Flutter and more importantly how to learn on the fly and quickly apply that knowledge into my work. The biggest takeaway I would say is not to be afraid to refractor completed code if you think of a better more programatic way to accomplish it.

One of the features I had to implement was the filtering of our Data Rows and Columns. Initially I started trying to Filter out the data I didn’t want to see, but working through it it was actually easier to build a new data set on the fly from the ground up and display that vs. trying to selectively remove data we didn’t care about.

In the end I learned resilience and attacking problems with different approaches are important traits to have as a Software Developer.