Week 10- Blog Post : Most Important Thing You Learned

Reflecting back on all that we have learned in this course, it is difficult to choose one thing that I consider to be the most important. If I had to choose which topic seemed to be the most important to me, it would be learning about the use and creation of job analysis. I chose the job analysis as the topic I considered to be most important because based off of what we have learned throughout the term, this is one of the most crucial aspects of the hiring and recruiting process. The definition of a job analysis is the act of gathering, analyzing, and structuring information about a job’s components, characteristics, and requirements. The job analysis is used for many different aspects of the recruiting process, but mainly is used for job descriptions, employee selection, training, career planning, performance appraisal, job classification, job evaluation, job design, and compliance with legal guidelines.

What I found to be interesting about the job analysis, and also surprising, is how much time and preparation it requires to develop and make. There are three key decisions we discussed that go into creating the job analysis. These key decisions are who will conduct the job analysis, which employees should participate, and which type of information should be obtained. When actually conducting a job analysis there are many steps involved. The five steps that are required when conducting a job analysis are identifying tasks performed, write task statements, rate task statements, determine essential KSAOs, and select tests to measure KSAOs. The reason I found job analysis to be so important is that it is the basis for so many other things that we use in the recruitment process. Having a thorough job analysis allows us to create more detailed and accurate job descriptions, which ensure that we are legally complying to laws and regulations and can protect us from potential future lawsuits.