Week 1- Blog Post: Job Application Experience

The last job that I applied to was with a public accounting firm last year. At the time, I was applying for a summer internship with this firm, but later it turned into a full time job offer. One thing that stuck out to me in particular about this experience was how far in advance you had to apply for the internship. I had applied over a year before the actual internship was to occur, which meant that I had a very long interview and recruitment process. I personally really enjoyed the application and recruitment process for this job because it was very personal, and they put a lot of resources and energy into connecting with applicants and ensuring they were on the right path. Before even applying, I had been reached out to by the Portland office recruiter for this company, which already made me even more interested that I was before. One of the things that I think really stuck out to me was throughout the entire application and interview process, I was in direct contact with a recruiter who contacted me regularly to update me on the application process and what steps were to come next.

My experiences throughout the job application process definitely helped me shape my impression not only on the company, but also made me want to work there even more. As I said earlier, each applicant was in direct contact with a recruiter throughout the entirety of the application process, which made me feel not only more comfortable, but also made me feel very valued and wanted. I could tell by the amount of resources they put into their recruiting and the time commitment it takes that they truly valued their applicants and were only looking at people they really wanted to hire. Another aspect of this process that made me want to work there was the fact that their internship program is specifically designed to hire their interns at the end of the summer, considering they performed up to expectations. Overall, I think that the amount of resources that they put into their application and recruitment process was effective because it really made me want to work there.