Blog Post #4

For the past couple of weeks I have been working more on the GUI. The project is really coming together, and as a team we have managed to at this point reach all of the basic requirements of the project. The biggest breakthrough that I had was managing to get the visual representation of the species working in the GUI. My teammate created a function that randomly generates sprites, and I integrated it into the GUI by having a running list of what species are occupying the spaces on the board array. From there as species are added to the board, the sprite generation function is called to make a new sprite realtime and then as species that are already on the board are drawn my function then calls the sprite that has previously been generated for the species. Each time it runs there are completely different sprites for each species. Here is a screenshot of the GUI with the species and the land being rendered.

Throughout the project I have almost exclusively been working on the GUI, and the next big thing to do for me is to convert my gui code into a proper class that can be utilized by the overall simulation activation. After that I plan on creating more polished visual assets for the GUI, and then some animations and a function that then uses those animations as a cutscene for when special events happen. I am very excited to get more into the stretch goals.