Week 5 Blog Post

For this weeks post I will be discussing the interviewing process for jobs. Throughout my own personal experience I have found that there have been times where I have found the interviewing process at certain companies more engaging/structured then others. I have been working at My Grandfather’s wholesale produce company for the last two years, where I have been specifically managing a variety of accounting tasks ranging from managing company invoices, compiling invoices to send checks to the companies vendors, handling payroll for the business’s drivers, as well as taking note of inventory, and compiling month-end reports. One would think that since my family owns the business that I would be able to skate by the interviewing process. Instead, I had to interview for the position making detailed note of why I am qualified for the position and going through a three week trial to ensure that I was capable of handling the position. This taught me that having a detailed as well as structured interview process is vital to any companies success as it is any businesses goal to hire individuals qualified for the positions available. I believe it is important for the individual conducting the interview to be qualified/have sufficient knowledge about the position and what it entails in order for it to be a well-structured cohesive interview. Many people believe that the primary pressures of this process falls on the one being interviewed which is partially true, but I also believe there is some degree of responsibility on the person conducting the interview to have sufficient knowledge of the position in order to engage in a meaningful conversation with the prospect as they are the face of that company in these conversations. Having someone who is not qualified and who does not have knowledge of the position available can lead to prospects turning down the position and result in many negative implications for the business.