Unreal Engine

For our project, my teammate and I are utilizing Unreal Engine 5. We have had a lot of fun with it so far, but it has also provided many challenges. One thing that is pretty cool and fun to utilize is the blueprint designer. In the designer, you are able to pull nodes and variables into the designer and connect them. This mimics the logic that you use in writing code, but instead of writing code, you are able to visualize the code through nodes. This is a fun alternative that has given me a break from writing code.

While this is a cool and useful technology, it has given us many challenges. One of which is the switch from Unreal Engine 4 to 5. Unreal engine has good documentation, however it can be very hard to dig through to find what you need. There are a plethora of resources on the internet, but these seem to be limited to Unreal Engine 4. The update from 4 -> 5 introduced new nomenclature for nodes and other pieces within the designers. Trying to find the UE5 equivalent to UE4 is tricky and time consuming. I have not found a solid reason as to why these name changes were implemented, but they are a nuisance to deal with.

While these are unfortunate, UE5 has still been fun to work with, and I encourage anyone to mess around with it if you feel! The things you can do are awesome, and there are still plenty of tutorials out there, you just might have to dig a little.

Image found from: https://www.perforce.com/blog/vcs/unreal-engine-5