Species of the day – March 9, 2013 – Red-headed Barbet (Eubucco bourcierii)

Photo by Sarah Hadley

This was the first time that we had caught one of these spectacular birds! The red-headed barbet is rather stocky bird with a relatively large bill. It eats fruit and insects. We caught the female just as we were about to close our nets and the end of a hummingbird capture session. Just after we released her we also got to see the male in a tree nearby. Barbets excavate cavities in dead trees and it is possible that they may have a nest nearby. In 2010 I found a red-headed barbet nest. I saw both of the parents and thought that they seemed to be watching me quite intently and looking a bit agitated. I backed away a bit and waited quietly. Sure enough, the female went down and hopped into a hole in a snag right beside the heliconia plant I had been collecting data on. It is amazing what you can find through being quiet and watching patiently!

As I released the female she perched on my hand briefly before taking off.

One thought on “Species of the day – March 9, 2013 – Red-headed Barbet (Eubucco bourcierii)

1. Great picture! It shows the spectacular coloration of the female. The male has a brilliant, red colored head.

That large strong beak is probably useful in gathering insects out of bark and for excavating cavities in trees to build the nest. I was surprised to learn that the beak is made of the same substance as human finger nails and that it grows to replace itself as it is warn, just as human finger nails do.