CS 467 Blog Post #5

I am now into week five of my last quarter here at OSU. My team and I are making some finishing touches for our midpoint archive. We have put a lot of work into it so far and it is coming along Nicely.

Tamana has put a nice looking UI together. She implemented a working chessboard. The moves work by first selecting a piece and then selecting a valid square to move the piece. She also made some highlighting features that highlights the piece’s square that is selected. She is working on some addition UI stuff that will show the move log and implement the highlighting feature to show valid squares for the move.

Josh has made great progress on implementing a multiplayer feature for our chess project. He implemented our game with sockets and the pickle module to send move data over a connection between two users. So far everything is up and running locally. He will be working on enhancing this feature by having the server files hosted and allowing players to connect worldwide.

I have finished implementing the rules for chess. Players can make all valid chess moves, including Enpassant, Castling, and Pawn Promotion. My next task will be to implement AI. I first start out with a simple AI that makes random moves. From there, I will work on enhancing the AI to select moves that will capture pieces if possible and then make it more complex using some algorithms like min max.