Blog Post #1

Hello World!

My name is Nick and I’m in the last term of my CS degree at OSU. I plan to capture the journey through the capstone project here, as well as reflect on my learnings and team experience. Ralph Waldo Emerson once wrote “It’s not the destination, it’s the journey” and when it comes to projects – I couldn’t agree more. There are plenty of time sin my life when I set out to tackle a project that I don’t even use much in the end, because I know that the most fulfilling part is the learning and experience gained through the work. That said I’d like to create something that I’m proud of in the end!

Why did you choose to go into Computer Science?

I chose to go into computer science after about 10 years of working as a mechanical engineer out of both interest and opening up a potential alternate career path. I’m interested in both pure software as well as the integration of software/hardware as I try to get more and more into little arduino/raspberry pi + 3d printing projects. That said, I think my true passion as a loooong-time player of video games would be to make a cool game – it’s part of the reason I wanted to start programming in the first place. I had no idea what python was, but struggling through and making my text based black-jack game was so enjoyable, and I realized then that making games would always be something I would enjoy.

Why did you choose the projects you did on the survey? What makes them interesting to you?

I’ll be honest, until tonight I was worried about this final course and the push to graduate. But after looking at the project options in game development, I’m just excited to get started.

I have played magic the gathering since I was a kid, and I still reminisce often about epic sleep-overs battlind with my friends. Heck I’m subscribed to Alpha Investments and Open Boosters on youtube, because the nostalgia those pack openings bring just can’t be beat. The TCG Maker project on the project listing immediately caught my eye.

I also love simple/minimal retro style video games, so the AR Arcade classics, HTML5 tower defense, and Space Invader Emulator are quite appealing as well. Nintendo may have played too large a role in raising me.

What type of person are you, in terms of a group dynamic / are you worried about working in groups?

I think of myself as creative and a team player, but I can help plan/communicate/lead as needed. I hope to meet some nice folks that have similar interests and open minds and learn from each other to tackle the capstone project. I’m not worried about working in groups, as so far at OSU everyone has been pretty like-minded and determined to succeed. However, I plan to do my part and help out if possible where needed to ensure the team’s success.

What’s left to say? Perhaps only these words, from a very wise old man. “It’s dangerous to go alone! Take this.”

-Nick