Setting the Stage: Using new technology for the first time

~/$: project_update —explain

Hello again, it’s Guru Updesh Singh giving an update on the capstone. The project I’m working on is an opinionated project management website, a full-stack project. I’m pretty excited bout it and am looking forward to starting development.

~/$: init_project_setup

We’re in the setup phase, and it’s a whirlwind of new tech, infrastructure, and design decisions. All of which present their own challenges. This week, we are tasked with setting up our project and getting everyone set up. In anticipation of growing pains, I’ve spent some time playing with the new patterns in Next.JS 14, learning about server-side actions and useOptimistic.

~/$: db_schema --create

This test consisted of a single database schema and CRUD operations. It’s like laying the bricks for a house, ensuring each one is aligned and will provide a strong foundation for the future bricks. Our app will heavily rely on the patterns I end up using during this test, and I’m hoping they scale. This part is more about persistence and precision than flash, setting a solid foundation for everything that follows.

~/$: server_actions --implement

Next (get it….), we’re tackling server actions and optimistic updates. It’s a dance between the server and client, and the patterns remind me a lot of Django or php. Aiming for that seamless user experience, I want to use optimistic updates and edge functions that make the application feel super fast. Getting all these new hooks and patterns to work together is a tricky balance of using new tools to push the envelope while remaining grounded in what we can accomplish.

~/$: shadcn_ui --explore

Enter Shadcn UI, our choice for crafting the user interface. Balancing functionality with aesthetics, Shadcn UI provides a versatile base for our application and allows for quick turnaround. What I really like is its customizability, which allows styled solid defaults but easy overrides.

~/$: nextjs_patterns --navigate

And then there’s the star of our show, Next.js. It’s not just a framework; it’s a whole new way of thinking about react development. Right now, I am sort of charting its territories, trying to harness its full potential, especially its server-side rendering and static generation features. While simultaneously trying not to go too far and getting lost.

~/$: status_check --project

The type of work I’ve been doing in this project so far feels very senior developer-esk, and that’s been a cool experience. Building system architecture, thinking about how the patterns will scale, and having the whole picture in mind. This differs from my experience as a junior dev, where you are working on a small isolated feature or fixes.

~/$: reflection --journey_so_far

So, that’s the latest from the front lines of our capstone project. It’s a journey of discovery filled with both challenges and triumphs. Thanks for following along, and stay tuned for more updates as we continue to learn about the pros and cons of these new React patterns and try to push the boundaries of what we know and are comfortable with.

ctrl+c