Take a Look at Compensation From an Employee’s Perspective

Compensation is really critical to modern business. As a sales employee, I deeply felt the great incentives brought by compensation. We are all well aware that compensation is an incentive or a subsidy other than salary or compensation. From this perspective, compensation really motivates an employee, at least from my experience. Last year, I worked as a sales representative for a company that sold beer. Although this is my first time working as a sales representative, I found this job a great help in improving my social ability and promotion skills. Most importantly, I have experienced the significant incentives generated by a company’s individual-based compensation. Since this company takes sales units as performance every month, I must try my best to sell more to get better performance. However, my performance in the first month was a third of the performance of the best representative, which made me frustrated. To my surprise, this company not only rewards and compensates the best performers but also compensates the worst performers. From the perspective of managers, their compensation and rewards are not only to motivate employees to perform better, but also to comfort poor performers and give them encouragement and support in the form of compensation to prevent them from giving up. Thus, I received about three hundred dollars in compensation.

However, because of the compensation, I never thought it would be so motivating for me. In order to improve myself, get better performance and return the company in the form of performance, I was committed to studying and learning the skills from those excellent sales representatives. Two months later, I unexpectedly found that my performance was the best. First, in my opinion, an individual-based compensation gives personal recognition and affirmation, especially as an employee doubts himself. Second, compensation in the form of money provides an employee with an assistance to cover the cost of living, which is a moral and financial goodness. Third, when I received the compensation, I have an impulse to return the compensation in other forms. Thus, to make the compensation be worthwhile, I chose to work harder to improve performance. Fourth, when I received this compensation, I felt the responsibility of this company to me. In order to achieve equivalence in responsibility, I strived to focus on my work and devoted myself to learning skills that can improve performance to demonstrate my responsibility to this company.

Therefore, as an employee, the experience of the sales representative made me realize the importance of compensation in terms of recognition, assistance, value demonstration and equal responsibility. It is these traits that motivate employees to keep learning and absorbing in their jobs and to increase their commitment to the jobs.