IPIP Results & Reactions

For this week’s assignment I chose to do the short version of the IPIP-NEO. This test consisted of 120 different personality questions that I answered honestly. The results of the test did not really shock me, and I did not think that anything was that inaccurate. In the first section of Extraversion, I scored as average with a 38 suggesting that I was not a “subdued loner nor a jovial chatterbox” as the site claimed. In the Agreeableness section I scored 16 which was low. This score described me as “tough, critical, and uncompromising”. For Conscientiousness I scored high with a score of 99, meaning that I follow through on my goals. My neuroticism was also very low with a score of 2, showing that I am very calm in stressful situations. The last section of Openness to Experience was also scored low with 6, showing that I am very practical in situations.

If an employer were to look at these results, they might gather a few different strengths and weaknesses from the test. Looking at Extraversion, they will probably see that it is a strength that I am right in the middle. I would not be afraid to ask for assistance if needed and I also would not waste time talking to people if there is work to be done. My assertiveness and activity level are very high which demonstrates some leadership capabilities as well. In the Agreeableness section, I scored pretty low across the board except for cooperation which could be seen as a strength, however with the overall score being low agreeableness would be considered a weakness. An employer might want to pair me up with someone with the opposite score in this case to balance me out. One of the best indicators for workplace performance in my opinion is Conscientiousness. Employers would see my high scores across the board and that I am a hard worker and reliable as the test states. They would know that they can place me anywhere without much supervision and I will get the work done to a high standard. In the Neuroticism section employers could claim that I have a strength in staying calm in stressful situations. This came as no surprise to me because I was in the Navy and dealt with this every day. Openness to Experience could be a strength and a weakness. I scored low in the creative aspects of the test, but high in the adventurousness aspect. This shows that I would want to try new tasks or opportunities but might struggle with creating something.