Job Application Experiences

The last job I applied for was actually an internship position last year at CED or Consolidated Electrical Distributors. I have been lucky to have had many jobs, but only actually applied to one of them because of connections or other circumstances. During this experience, I met with a representative from CED at one of the college of business career fairs. One of my professors introduced me to him and we chatted for awhile and I gave him my resume. He then offered me a slot for interviews for the next day. I felt pretty unprepared at this time because I did not expect to have an I interview so soon. When I got home I looked up the representative on LinkedIn and laid out some professional attire for the interview. The next day I arrived early for the interview on campus and waited in a chair outside the room. When it was my turn to interview, I felt prepared. I introduced myself again to the representative from the prior day and met a new representative who was currently an intern there. As I was answering the interview questions, I learned that the initial representative had a bias against me for being a navy veteran. Due to my service, he considered me to not be capable of making my own decisions, but only able to follow others. Towards the end of the interview, he started to shift towards talking more to the intern and I knew I did not want to work at this company. The representative was pretty rude and unprofessional. As a result, I finished the interview and never reached back out afterwards. Instead, I found a different highly paid internship for the summer.

One response to “Job Application Experiences”

1. Kyle Ferrero Avatar
    Kyle Ferrero

Hi Tanner,

I am sorry to hear about your negative experience in the application process. Devoting time to interviewing with a company and preparing for said process only to be met with a lack of respect and commitment is extremely frustrating. I think that your feelings about this process are a warning sign to other companies who do not invest in recruitment and selection. For one, making a bias so clear is a massive red flag that will deter any new employees or recruits. Second, the company seemed to not be interested in matching your level of commitment which shows that they do not prioritize your future growth in any way. Almost any jobseeker will recognize this and eliminate the company from their consideration.
    -Kyle