home | < Previous Chapter | no more Chapters for this bike

Long story

Sep. 19, 2015

Long story short… I finished the customization got the bike looking a lot closer to my desires and then the troubles began.

First… it became hard to start – come out of the store after running an errand and it wouldn’t start. Walk home, come back tomorrow and all was well. This happened about fifteen times over the course of a few months, and then I finally found there was too big of a gap in the crankshaft position sensor. Solved!

Rode the bike like a daemon for a few months – super-fast, fantastic sound – best bike in the world and swore I’d never part with it.

Then… It stared making a little noise. Cam chain they said – worked on it every night for a month – new chain, new valve shims – had the seat-tank-airbox-hoses-valve cover-clutch cover off and back on 5 or 6 times and no matter what I did, it just kept getting worse. Now the smart people are telling me I probably bent a valve(s) and that’s about a $2000 repair…

Started thinking about a new bike – wanted a Triple – looked at the Yamaha FZ-09 and the Triumph Speed Triple and Street Triple – researched and test rode –

Came home with a new (last year’s bike) 2014 Street Triple R – immediately disappointed – sounded like a weed eater and wasn’t very fast.

I’m beginning warm up to that little 675cc Triple, but it will never be this bike – that’s another blog.

This 1998 Triumph Daytona model is the best motorcycle there ever was and maybe I’ll have another one some day, but unfortunately, it’s worth more in pieces on eBay than fixed and sold, so – off it goes – It’s in pieces and some of those have already been sold.

(Update – Nov. 17, 2015)

No! WAIT !! – Change of heart. I am going to keep it and get the parts back that I already sold and get it running good and fix it up just to my liking.

[Edit 3 bikes and 3 years later]
I finished getting the 955 Triple back together! Here’s the blog for that project>