Oregon State University|blogs.oregonstate.edu
Blog Owner
Blogger Name

Labor Unions

May 30th, 2022

Throughout the search that I did on labor unions I decided that it would not be a good idea for me to join one. I completely understand the interest and reform that labor unions are trying to create, but I feel as though it is not for me. Labor unions want to protect the rights and economic status of workers, but what they are doing on their off time is protesting for these rights at times. That doesn’t seem to be a good use of their time. What they could and should be doing is trying to unite or climb up the ladder in their businesses and make the changes from within. Having signs and yelling isn’t going to fix the issues. Having an actual plan and being able to execute it effectively is most important.

There are some pros to having and being in a labor union. In the article and research that I found it states that a few of the pros are higher wages from demanding them to their superiors, higher job security, and family benefits. These are all great outcomes from having a labor union because they have fought for these, and they have been heard, but that isn’t necessarily the case all the time. Some of the cons were equal treatment may not be given, price increases because of higher wages, and firms are less interested in hiring new workers.

I do not know anyone that has been a member of a union or is in one, so doing this research was very helpful for me because I really didn’t know what they were at first. I have heard of them, but never knew the outcomes or the effects they had on corporations. I would not join a union because I feel if I wasn’t being treated well at work, I would just leave and try to find another job. If it is really that concerning to you then make a difference by quitting and finding another job, or try to make those changes within instead of doing something that is going to limit your pay potentially. I understand that rights for workers are very important, and I admire those who are a part of a union and trying to make a difference, but I just don’t see myself as a part of one.

This week we learned about all kinds of unions and what I particularly enjoyed learning about was the future of unions and what they can become. They seem to be making unions more civil and have positive employee relations with the companies. That is something I think can make a generous change is having that positive relationship with your employees that when problems occur, they can be comfortable speaking about it instead of going on a strike.