Writing Exercise #6: Philosophy on Antibiotics

Prompt: Describe your personal philosophy about how and when you have taken or would take antibiotics. What experiences or prior knowledge do you have that shaped that personal philosophy?

Personally, I was not aware of the negative side effects of antibiotics until a few years ago. I have taken antibiotics a few times. One of my courses of antibiotics was prescribed by my dermatologist for my skin. I was on it for two months and during this course of antibiotics, I took a probiotics supplement. I did understand the negative impact of antibiotics, but at the time I was very insecure about my skin and antibiotics were the only treatment available. From now on I will only take antibiotics if absolutely necessary and there is not another option. I have learned a lot more about antibiotic resistance and I want to be careful by watching how many antibiotics I have or will consume. I have also always heard that it is important to finish your antibiotic course, even when symptoms stop, which I want to learn more about.