MGMT 553 – Blog 5

One of the nations that have peaked my interests if I were to work abroad as either home country national or a third country national would be Australia for several reasons. First, being that Australia has one of highest qualities of life in the world, and it shares English as its dominant language. Australia also has a very low power distance relative to the rest of the world and ranks right behind the United States in terms if individualism in the world. In regard to uncertainty, Australians scored low on the scale, inferring that many of which prefer knowing complete information, and strive for a well-organized structure of rules. Surprisingly the country does have a high degree of masculinity compared to femininity, though the population of Australia does have a higher number of males relative to females, at 58% male, and 42% female. Orientation for the most part is short-term, with Australia preferring short-term over long-term, and far more for short-term compared to the rest of the world.

Now the main driving factor associated with taking a job abroad would be compensation and benefits. While the experience would be something I remember for the rest of my life, I do need to make it worth my while. Moving costs would be a big expense for a move half-way across the globe, and another question would be how much do I want to move? As a banker I have seen people move to a new country, taking next to everything, and the only way to move vast sums of money to another country is via wire transfer. Now when exchanging money, the conversion rate for a bank could be anywhere from 3-5%, so aside from the moving costs, the banks will also take a good chunk to move to another nation.

Sources:

– https://www.y-axis.com/overseas-jobs/what-are-benefits-of-working-in-australia/

-https://www.ukessays.com/essays/cultural-studies/key-dimensions-of-national-culture-in-pakistan-cultural-studies-essay.php#:~:text=Liberal%20democracies%20are%20the%20norm%20and%20societies%20lean,levels%2C%20including%20government%2C%20organizations%2C%20and%20even%20within%20families.