Coping With Stress From Work

On the stress inventory assessment test I scored a 191. Which means according to the test that I have a 50% chance of having a major breakdown in the next two years. However, I feel like I am having a mid-life crisis at least a few times a week. I notice when I am really stressed, I also get pretty depressed and shut down. My health is not as good when I am stressed out, I do not feel well, consume more caffeine than normal, do not sleep as well, procrastinate and also sleep more often. On the coping and stress management test I scored a 75 on problem-focused coping. This can be useful when dealing with stress that is changeable, but not removed or controlled. I think this test is pretty accurate considering even though I may feel really stressed out at times I do my best to try and see how I can change or alleviate the situation. I like to go to the gym, take walks in nature, be with my dog, and listen to music to help me de-stress. These activities do help me. In addition, if I am unhappy in a situation I like to plan out how I can move on from my current situation, but it can be hard because I feel like I am still stuck in a stressful situation and it may not be the time to make major life adjustments, even if I would be happier elsewhere. I scored a 43 on the impatience and irritability test. Based on my results I may be at an increased risk of heart disease, so that is not good. I do tolerate a lot, but also feel like I have my limits, and do know I need to learn how to be more patient. Below I attached an article I found on what companies are doing to help employees feel less stressed out at work. Expanding personal time and stretch breaks were on the list, and also something I agree would help the most. They also said, creating home offices, would help employees feel more comfortable and functional. I personally do not fully agree with this because when I do work from home it can be more distracting for me, I feel less unproductive, and would rather do other things at home. I prefer a work environment that I have to show up for, and be in a space where I can concentrate and get things done in. I also think it is important to separate home and work life. However, for some people being able to work at home works better for them, so it is just really unique to the individual.

Overall, this was an interesting activity that helped me assessed my stress and things I can incorporate into my life to make me more productive and a better person to be around.

https://www.zenefits.com/workest/how-3-companies-are-helping-employees-cope-with-stress/