Q&A: Samantha Chisholm Hatfield

Samantha Chisholm Hatfield holds a newly created position in which she will help researchers in multiple colleges work with Indigenous communities and incorporate Traditional Ecological Knowledge into their work.

Fall/Winter 2022

Your cultural background has influenced your educational and professional path. Can you tell us about that background?

During childhood summers I was that quintessential “sunrise to sundown” outdoor kid. We learned from the environment, we were taught how things moved and worked collectively as a holistic mechanism, and how we as humans are only part of that whole. As a student in an environmental science course, I was floored to hear there was a term for this, because it was second nature, and I never thought of it as “science” — it was just how we lived.

How do you define Traditional Ecological Knowledge? How will you approach this new position?

It is important to remember that TEK is a Western term created to explain patterns, practices and data systems for Westernized science. Because of this, many Natives don’t use the term “TEK” — it’s just what they do. It’s a tradition, or a ceremony, or a reciprocal behavior. In addition, every Tribe’s definition is different. Some years back I was asked to create a definition, in which I focused on application and utilization:

Traditional Ecological Knowledge (TEK) is usually attributed to place-based Indigenous populations, inclusive of Traditional Knowledge (TK) and evidenced through applications of traditions over a long-standing period Samantha Chisholm Hatfield of time. TEK is the utilization and application of some traditional knowledge, usually those aspects which are directly related to the environment and resources that are culturally relevant, based in reciprocal relationships.

I’m not sure many people understand how groundbreaking and innovative it is for Oregon State to create a position like this. There is a saying that we as Natives “walk in two worlds.” Many people assume we are just like everyone else because the assimilation process has been effective — we aren’t walking around in traditional clothing, we speak English and we shop at the local grocery stores. But the fact is, we have a full and rich culture that exists outside the realm of mainstream American life. Many people aren’t aware that working with Tribes is in many ways just like working with a foreign nation.

TEK is holistic and multi-faceted, so understanding the depth and breadth of a subject in a nuanced way is vital. If someone says they are “doing TEK” but just interviewing and transcribing, rather than illustrating the complexity of the issue, then it’s not valid TEK. Understanding meaning and culturally nuanced information is important, and it’s why TEK and Indigenous science looks so simplistic to many, but they falter when they try to replicate it. There’s a cultural, linguistic and historical dynamic, along with other components.

I want to approach this position with an open-door policy to help educate scientists about the complexities of our Tribal nations, the challenges Tribes face when collaborating, and ways to assist and successfully collaborate. I am so excited to be able to get back into actual research again, and facilitating support for that is incredibly exciting!

Can you tell us about a project you’re working on now that gets you particularly excited?

I have a fantastic project with Francis Chan, director of the Cooperative Institute for Marine Resources Studies. We were funded by NOAA to look at marine ecosystems and habitats and how they are affected by ocean acidification, hypoxia and other stressors. This project is a great example of Western science “catching up” to TEK. I’ve been hearing from Elders for about a decade that certain impacts are causing die-offs and problems for some species, so I’m very excited to pair with Western science to start looking at some of these issues.

What do you do outside of work to recharge your batteries?

Go outside! I spend a lot of time with family — we have a small family farm I help take care of. I really enjoy photography. I am also taking language classes in both Tolowa and Korean, and I participate in many of my traditional cultural activities, like keeping my TEK skills sharp!

Is there anything else you’d like readers to know about you or your new role?

I would encourage anyone who is interested in partnering on a TEK research project to reach out! I also would encourage people to ask questions and not just accept what they might have heard about a Tribe, or working with/”doing” TEK. Tribal data is more complex than many give it credit for, and to do it correctly is vital — for integrity of academic research, as well as for the Tribe.

We at OSU have this magnificent opportunity to create a niche in the discipline of TEK and Indigenous Science. The frontier is literally wide open — with a TEK Specialist who is ready, willing and able, I think we can really make some positive, ethically sound strides in the ways we engage with and support Tribes. We have the potential to become national and even international leaders in this arena at the same time.