Discrimination Lawsuit

I am personally a fan of Elon Musk and his automobile company, Tesla. I appreciate the amount of engineering that goes into Tesla’s product and the challenges associated with producing cars. It takes companies many years to learn how to make a high quality car. Elon Musk and Tesla managed to break into that market and bring exciting all electric models in.

If I read an article one day about Tesla being sued for discrimination, whether against someone’s race or religious beliefs, it would certainly change the way I feel about the company. A company can make really cool product and be on the cutting edge of technology. However, if they treat people poorly or discriminate against them in some way, it is not something I can tolerate. I believe people matter before a product, money, or a company. If people are not being treated fairly or respectfully, I cannot admire a company like that.

A situation such as this would certainly effect my decision on whether or not to submit an application to work for Tesla as well. I would not want to be part of a company where the culture involved discrimination in one form or another. People deserve a workplace where they can be accepted and respected. Regardless of whatever ethnic or belief background they come from. One of the really cool things about people is that we are all a little different from one another. It is a lot of fun to be around people from other ethnic backgrounds and belief system. We all bring something unique to the table.

3 responses to “Discrimination Lawsuit”

1. Hi Steven,

I like that you used your favorite company and named them as an example within your discrimination response post. I spoke generally in mine, not naming any actual companies; but I think it was a super nice touch to actually talk about Tesla in yours! By actually giving detail on you favorite company, Tesla and Elon who designed it; it gave a lot more knowledge to why you would change the way you felt about them if they were to have a public lawsuit for discrimination. I too would change the way I felt about my favorite company if they were to discriminate; but I don’t know if I would stop purchasing their products.

2. Hi Steven,
    I enjoyed reading your blog. I like that you went with a specific example in Tesla. I’m curious your thoughts on Elon Musk being a billionaire and the potential implications his extensive wealth has on the planet and people. I do agree that it’s different than discrimination, but it’s interesting to draw the line between what we can and can’t support in a company. I like that you said that people come before products, I think this is good to go by in ensuring you work for a company that is ethical. I really agree with your point that we all bring something unique to the table. I feel this is one of the biggest losses of companies that create adverse impact or use disparate treatment. The more diverse a workforce, the more likely it is to succeed in my opinion.

• Hi Emily,

People with an incredible amount of wealth, such as Elon Musk, can impact our world in very significant ways and fast. The hope is these people use their position in a way that benefits people and society. They are in a unique position to use their wealth to be generous, employee thousands of people, and develop product that changes things for the better. These people can also use their wealth to manipulate, oppress, and take advantage of people. The latter of course is wrong. I am personally not against someone becoming a billionaire. If people are driven, work hard, and have great ideas, they should be able to enjoy the fruits of their labor. I am not ok with people using their wealth to harm others though. I do not think wealth is the problem. I think what people do with wealth can be a problem. For Elon Musk specifically, I do not know much about him or his character. I am just impressed by his ability to develop great product and run a wide variety of successful, technologically advanced companies.