Experience With Interviews

One of the more recent jobs I had to interview for was for a CA (Community Ambassador) position at the new Sierra Student Apartments residency.

During the summer of 2020, the new Sierra apartment building was looking to hire college age employees to serve as CA’s within the building. The job would require giving apartment tours, assisting residents, and signing leases, etc. As this was during the pandemic, many of the interviews were conducted over zoom, including mine. My interview was conducted my a manager of the apartment building, which would’ve been my boss had I gotten the job. The interview was only about half an hour long and seemed to be somewhat structured. I was asked about a couple of hypothetical scenarios and previous job experience. As the building was brand new and just a ten minute walk to the MU on Oregon State’s campus, there was a lot of competition for the jobs.

This was one the first interviews I’ve done. I was quite nervous for the interview, but did not really care if I got the job or not. I just thought it would be a good way to make money and another addition to my resumé. Luckily, I knew what the job entailed, but did not know what types of questions they were going to ask me. The interview being on zoom also threw me off a little bit. The internet was spotty at times, making it harder to communicate what I wanted to say, and I don’t know if that impacted the manager’s decision at all.