Better Late Than Never?

Been making good progress creating a balance between work, school, and regular “just being a human things”. Going into this project, the challenge has been implementing a complex neural network starting from a point of never having even attempted building a neural network. I’ve been doing research on the theoretical implementations to understand the capabilities and limitations by speed running Standford’s ‘Intro to Neural Networks’ course, which left me with a decent theoretical knowledge about the inner workings of neural networks, but little to no practical knowledge.Just realized I forgot to do this assignment yesterday. Better late than never I guess is a bit dependent on the classes late policy, which I can’t recall at the moment, and don’t feel like looking up so I’m just going to do it either way for points or not.

This week I finished fixing my fork of the WLASL dataset scraper, so I have a dataset to work with. Now I just have to take this theoretical knowledge and figure out how to actually implement it. Keras and tensorflow are the libraries we decided to work with, and Keras makes building basic models very simple. The issue is, we’ve considered implementing more complex models and the way those are built, isn’t as apparent as the simpler models. Plan for now, is to implement one of the simpler models, see if I can get any reasonable amount of performance out of it to confirm I’m on the right track, and then optimize from there.

2 replies on “Better Late Than Never?”